HENDERSON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY MEETING ROOM USE POLICY
FLETCHER BRANCH LIBRARY- Auditorium
Seated capacity: 50
FLETCHER BRANCH LIBRARY- Downstairs
Seated capacity: 102 Standing only capacity: 140 Seated with tables capacity: 48
When not being used for Library sponsored activities, the Library’s meeting rooms are available for use by non-profit Henderson County based community organizations. Proof of tax exempt status may be required to establish eligibility. Library use of the meeting rooms is a first priority and the Library reserves the right to cancel a reservation if a room is needed for that purpose. Use of the meeting rooms does not constitute an endorsement of the views of the user of the room by the Library. The Library subscribes to the tenets of the Library Bill of Rights, which states in part, Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
Groups may use a library meeting room if:
- The organization is non-profit
- The meeting is open to anyone
- No admission is charged
Meeting Rooms cannot be used for:
- Private parties
- For-profit activities
- Any activity where admission is charged
- For any exclusive group
- Meeting room reservations must be submitted at least 7 days prior to the date of the event. Requests can be completed through the Library’s website: www.henderson.lib.nc.us
- Forms must be completed by a representative (over age 18) of the organization who will be responsible for the conduct of the meeting and proper use of the meeting space.
- Reservations are tentative until approved by a Library representative.
- Individual groups may only use a Library facility one time per month.
- Rooms may be booked up to three months in advance, but to avoid monopolization an organization may only have one room reservation at any Henderson County Library location at any one time. The Library cannot guarantee or provide a monthly meeting in the same space at the same time, same day.
- Meetings can only be scheduled during the Library’s normal operating hours and must be completed 30 minutes prior to closing time. Meeting room doors will be locked 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Meetings can be cancelled by following the cancellation link in the reservation confirmation email or by notifying the Main Library administrative assistant.
Room Setup and Usage:
- It is the responsibility of the user to schedule the room allowing time for setup and takedown. Library staff is not available to assist with room setup or takedown.
- Requests for Library equipment must be included in the original meeting room reservation request. A group representative must contact the programming librarian or appropriate branch manager after receiving approval of their room reservation to confirm the availability and use of any audiovisual (AV) equipment. All AV equipment requests must be made no later than 7 days prior to the program date. Confirmation for the use of the room does not guarantee use of the AV equipment.
- Only trained Library personnel may operate auditorium equipment.
- Library personnel will turn on projection or audio equipment at the start of a film or sound recording and will turn off equipment and the end of a film or compact disc. Groups requiring multiple starts and stops of media must provide their own equipment. DVDs and CDs may be played and the contents projected through a laptop computer.
- It is the responsibility of the user to pick up all garbage and leave the library facility in the same condition as when the scheduled meeting began. This includes rearranging all chairs and tables to previous location.
- Groups must inform a library representative when their meeting is over so that library staff can secure the equipment and the facility.
Meeting Room Regulations:
- All publicity for meetings must clearly state the meeting is not sponsored by the Henderson County Public Library. Copies of the aforementioned must be sent to the Main Library administrative assistant or appropriate branch manager at least 3 days prior to the meeting.
- Only pre-approved posters may be placed in the library to advertise meetings and they must be given directly to a library representative for proper approval and display.
- Access to the room prior to your scheduled time is not possible.
- It is not permitted to charge registration fees or to require the purchase of an item as a condition of attending a meeting. Donations may not be solicited nor may any funds be collected, promised or pledged.
- The use of the name, address, or telephone number of the Henderson County Public Library (or any of its branches) as the address or headquarters of any group using the library for meetings is prohibited.
- Library staff may attend or observe any meeting or program at any time.
- Messages cannot be relayed to people attending meetings except in emergencies.
- Refreshments are permitted only for Henderson County Government or Public School groups. Refreshments for community group programs are not permitted.
- Smoking or use of alcohol or malt beverages is not permitted.
- Groups of young people under eighteen years of age must have the meeting room application completed by a sponsoring adult who must also be present at the meeting.
- Displays may not be affixed directly to the walls of the meeting rooms without prior consent. Library fixtures may not be removed from the walls. The use of staples or thumbtacks on library walls is prohibited.
- Users of the auditorium may not canvass or otherwise disturb library patrons.
- Use of Library equipment is a privilege, not a right. In the event of equipment failure it is not the Library’s responsibility to find alternative equipment for a meeting.
- The Library is not responsible for patron equipment or exhibit materials. Equipment may not be stored in the library.
- The Library reserves the right to make special accommodations for other county agencies.
- The Library reserves the right to limit or prohibit at any time the use of meeting room spaces which represent a threat to the health or safety of library users, or the orderly use of the library.
- Users of the Main Library Kaplan Auditorium should request attendees to use the overflow parking to the south of the main parking lot.
- For and in consideration of the use of the meeting room and library facilities, any person or group using same hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Henderson County Public Library from any and all actions, suits, relating to its use of such rooms and facilities. Further, such person or group agrees to reimburse the Library for any and all costs for repair of any and all damage as may be caused directly or indirectly to the room and/or facilities by such use thereof. If any organization refuses to pay for the damage, the matter will be referred to the County Attorney for legal action.
Organizations must adhere to these regulations in order to continue using Library facilities.